Friday, September 30, 2011

Really Cool Thing #983: Sci-Fi and Fantasy Novels

So I came across NPR's list of the 100 top Sci-Fi and Fantasy novels (here). It got me wondering how many of them I had read. I also wondered how my list would match up against my family and friends, seeing as how I've tended to surround myself with those of similar literary tastes. So I devised a scoring system and created a spreadsheet. Basically you get 5 points for reading the book and then 1 or 0.5 points for additional levels of geekness (such as reading the book multiple times.) In the spirit of Charlotte's mid winter musical madness you can also argue for new point categories, but keep in mind that will open up those scoring possibilities for other players. The theoretical maximum is something like 1,550 points, but I think anything above 300 would be really impressive. The winner will receive a pulled pork dinner from Crazy Nate's backyard barbecue (note: only redeemable at the Vernal, UT location i.e. my house)
Some of you might notice some some similarities to the Geek Test. Yes, that did play a role in this test. But mine is limited to works of literature. As long as you're surfing the web, check out this hilarious flowchart someone made of the list.
I sent out an email letting people in on the test document. If I missed you, leave a comment here our email me and I'll let you compete.

10 comments:

Charlotte said...

Hello? What about me? Not being a fantasy lover will no doubt leave me straggling on the legitimate points, but if you're going to give out whim points, I've been doing research on those for three years running!

(charlottelaughs at gmail)

Nate said...

Charlotte, I already sent you a link, but I thought your Husband might want to try too. If he does, send me his email and I'll let him in.

Harmony said...

What about a "I think I've read it but I really can't remember" category?

Deutschlehrer said...

I think I win by virtue of a large collection of books and my multiple readings.
as far as bonus points go:
I went to the same school as Sanderson and Card

I got engaged after watching a midnight showing of the princess bride. that should count for something.

Deutschlehrer said...

what about points for referencing one of these books in an AP exam (tolkien) or in an academic paper presented at a literary conference

Nate said...

Harmony, that's what they invented wikipedia for. I had to check it a couple times to remind myself if I had read it or not.
Jeff- NO POINTS FOR ANY CONNECTION TO BYU! Any other weekend it might have worked out for you, but not this one. I can hold a grudge with the best of them. Again, BYU is in USU's debt. Last year we got you to get rid of your offensive coordinator and this year we helped you figure out which quarterback you should have been using all along.
As for the papers one point for each, so two points?

Deutschlehrer said...

I find your stance on the BYU-USU thing highly irrational. I would argue that if an author had attended the same school as the reader--say Harvard or SUU, for example, that that should count. For example, L.E. Modesitt teaches at SUU, so Charlotte would get a point, if only Modesitt were on the top 100 list, which he isn't. Likewise, I cannot claim Tolkien, because I have never studied at Oxford. If any sci-fi literary giants had come out of USU, I would have been more than happy to concede the point to you. I am surprised you are been petty about a football game--especially when I haven't even once rubbed your face the way they have choked this season.

Grandpa P said...

OK, I get more points. I got hocked on the early masters like Wells and Verne and I passed the sci-fi genes on to my kids and fantisy is just a natural extention.

Nate said...

Dad, five points for passing on the sci-fi gene (and Mom for making us love reading. I was like 15 before I realized people considered reading a hobby. I thought it was just something you did, kinda like breathing.)
Jeff, good point. If anything by May Swenson was on the list I'd be sure to award those points appropriately. Likewise for Hugh B. Brown, Ezra Taft Benson, Boyd K. Packer or L. Tom Perry (all Aggies).
But still, NO POINTS FOR BYU! My test, my points, my whims. So there.

Nate said...

Dad, make that 20. The love of literature is definitely worth more than 5 points.