Sunday, September 20, 2009

My Really Cool (ex)Car

Well, I sold the first car I ever owned on Saturday. I bought it from my older brother in 1997 for $6,000 (or so). My dad thought it was too much money for a car, but considering I had it for 12 years and drove it 110,000 miles, it was a steal.
I had hoped to keep it until 2012, when it would be 20 years old, but I just couldn't justify it. I didn't have the room or the need for it. Plus now I'm $900 richer. That works out to 4.6 cents per mile (not counting gas and maintenance), I'd say it was worth it.
I could spout off all of the old cliches about your first car, but I won't bother. Not because they aren't true, but because I just don't wanna!


I won't say it wasn't bitter sweet. It's just weird not seeing my old blue car in the driveway anymore. JoLynn and I went on our first date in it the first weekend I had it and so thinking of the eclipse naturally takes me over my years of marriage. I used to haul Corbin around in it when Jo was at work.
In the end it was on KSL.com for all of about 20 hours. I tried to get my brother to buy it back, but he wouldn't have any of it. Now I just need to figure out what to do with my $900! (bills)

4 comments:

jon p said...

$900 and you can sleep at night?

deutschlehrer said...

NOOOOOOOOOO


it's gone. I thought we had a no-sell clause. I still think of that car as mine--that is why I didn't feel I needed to "buy" it back.

Nate said...

Hey, I was asking 1250 for it! He got a deal!

And Jeff, you didn't have to "buy" it back, you just would've had to pay a $900 shipping charge.

Jo said...

Ah, a lot of good memories with that car...some I would share.....some probably not. One distinct memory was of course the fact that Nate got it just before our first date and was so excited to take me in it. I just married him for the car...J/K...I love you Babe, even more than I did back then and that was a lot! I promise if we can ever afford it I'll get you a Porshe or Z4 or whatever you want. It would have been nice to keep the car long enough for the Kids, they could have had some fun with it too and made even more good memories. Since it was just sitting and rusting I doubt it would have lasted that long anyway. Jeff give it up you had the chance to get it back if you really wanted it.